Monday, December 28, 2009

Wasabi

Wasabi is a root vegetable that is grated into a green paste. It is Japanese horseradish. It is common in form of a green paste used as condiment for Sashimi (raw seafood) and sushi. However, wasabi is also used for many other Japanese dishes.

Wasabi has a strong, pungent flavour which dissipates within a second and leaves no burning aftertaste in one's mouth.

We should not to mix wasabi and soya sauce as if you do this way, there will be no way to control the amount of source with the Sashimi. I prefer to put a biy wasabi onto the Sashimi and use chop stick to dip a few drop of soya sauce onto the fish before put it into my mouth.

If have seen a lot of Hong Kong People well mix and stir the wasabi with soya sauce until it turns out to be a watery brown muddy water…Hmmm, I think that is not the right way to eat apply Wasabi!

In Hong Kong 99% of people will tend to mix the wasabi with soya sauce, I think this is the "HK Wasabi"… a new style… If you think that is best for you, I think that is OK.

HK Snob

1 comment:

pirateking168 said...

I notice my Japanese friends also mix and stir wasabi with soya souce. When asked about this method being non-traditional, I was enlightened by them when they told me it all depended on which part of Japan you came from. It seems like there is no "right" or "wrong" way of treating wasabi with soya souce, it's all up to your preferrence. Whatever taste better for you is right!